Day 2 of first internal

Was feeling less tense than ever going to physiology test. Went for jogging in the morning. Was ready with A4 size paper and all to write. But special notebooks were being provided.
And though 'blood' wasn't given the prominent status as we thought it'd be, i guess i did well.

Running to Biochem practical hall from there was easier than settling between intuition and lack of knowledge in there.
The solution 14 was clean, clear, colourless. Molisch's - check.
Iodine test:
3 mL of solution was taken, one drop of iodine was added. Deep colour was observed. And i wrote the observation. And then it struck! Doesn't that mean it's starch? But what about the clarity of solution?

Ah! That horrible moment in the chemistry lab when the solution back stabs you.
Confusion, confusion! And then i proceeded as if the answer was negative (not filling in the answer script, btw)
Benedict's - answers!
(Well, starch could have glucose units that drop down from the main chain)
osazone - no. Nothing in 5 minutes. Around 20 minutes and there's slight crystal formation, i guess (the kind i used to get in lactose/maltose, not enough to be transferred to slide)
ok. Barfoed's - no answer.
Ok. I'm gonna settle with starch, I said to myself. Hydrolysis, ok. Then Benedict's, obviously positive. Seliwanoff's - negative. Hmmm. Not Sucrose either. But what about the transparent solution? Looking at others on the way to osazone formation, i could see clearly white solutions of starch. What the?
Iodine test again! Same deep colour. Not exactly violet. Sort of black. Ok, that's what i got in 12th standard during the biology practicals. This is it. Starch!

And i still don't know if it was indeed starch or not. I even tried tasting (yes, that's against lab rules, but this is carbohydrates we're dealing with) and i had taken so little for the fear of cyanide poisoning that i couldn't be sure it was not sweet.

Professor Mahadeva sir comes for viva. And he takes my paper and starts asking about starch..

No comments:

Don't Jump On Private Healthcare

Follow me

@asdofindia on Twitter
@learnlearnin on Telegram

About Me

My photo
I am a general practitioner rooted in the principles of primary healthcare. I am also a deep generalist and hold many other interests. If you want a medical consultation, please book an appointment When I'm not seeing patients, I code software, advise health-tech startups, and write blogs. Follow me by subscribing to my writings