First Thinks First - a workshop on first aid

The Academic Society and St John Ambulance gave this workshop on first aid in the Anatomy lecture hall on 6th June.


Schedule

--
Behind the scenes
Dr Abeer, Bhavika, Dr Chandrakumar, Dr Gurudatt, and Dr Manjunatha (possibly more or less people) shaped this workshop.
Volunteers (who were present while we were practising the skits at the Lion's waiting shelter) included: Pratibha, Swathi, Shruti, Vivek, Madhu, Nivedha, Noor, Meghna, Terese, Prashasth, and Me.
Volunteer meet at Lion's hall
I made this PowerPoint at CCD with Dr Abeer and Bhavika. The skit would go along with the presentation.--

On the day:

I went searching for printing facility (for this) in different shops in landsdowne building to no avail. And reached the Anatomy Lecture Hall about 15 minutes late (at 9). Connected the laptop. Bhavika had brought her speaker too.

The inauguration was done by the dean.
Dr B Prakash, Dr B Krishnamurthy (speaking), Dr CL Gurudatt

Dr B Krishnamurthy giving a memento to Dr Prakash (left)

Dr B Prakash handled all the sessions - including demonstrations.

While I was taking photographs behind the audience, Bhavika called me to the stage (for a computer problem?) and I ran to her to know that Dr Prakash needed a volunteer to demonstrate mouth to mouth. Thus, I became the brave volunteer.

Me lying dead, and Dr Prakash checking for breath sounds
I also received 4 CPR strokes, which almost made my heart stop (ironically).

Lunch was served in Histology practical hall.
Skit team doing something and all
And then we staged the skits.

Following these Dr Prakash demonstrated different bandages, carrying methods, etc (which I fondly recalled from my old scouting days)











By the end of these (at around 5) everyone was in a hurry to leave and there were only about 55 left to do case scenarios. I had a broken clavicle and the team of first aiders managed to identify my problem and bandage me up pretty accurately.

And after a squabble with the Anatomy department attenders we packed up.

No comments:

Don't Jump On Private Healthcare

Follow me

@asdofindia on Twitter
@learnlearnin on Telegram

About Me

My photo
I am a general practitioner rooted in the principles of primary healthcare. I am also a deep generalist and hold many other interests. If you want a medical consultation, please book an appointment When I'm not seeing patients, I code software, advise health-tech startups, and write blogs. Follow me by subscribing to my writings