CME on dissertation and synopsis - a statistical view

The Department of Community Medicine, MMC&RI organized a CME on statistics today in the P&SM lecture hall, which was being renovated all this week for just this occasion.

The first talk was on the importance of statistics in medical research.
I missed the second talk about synopsis.
Then Dr Ganagaboraiah talked about which statistical tests are best for which methodology, the pitfalls in using different tests, the importance of correct sample size, avoiding bias, the importance of confidence interval, significance, power, etc.

This was followed by my favourite session on R by Dr S Ravi. He showed R studio and gave some reasons to use R in a beautiful latex (beamer?) presentation.

And ironically, systat (who was sponsoring the day?) gave a talk about the systat software in the end. The conversation revolved around how systat is at par with SPSS which highlighted the generalized apathy towards R. Makes me wonder if I should quit medicine and build a GUI for R and sell it.

No comments:

Don't Jump On Private Healthcare

Follow me

@asdofindia on Twitter
@learnlearnin on Telegram

About Me

My photo
I am a general practitioner rooted in the principles of primary healthcare. I am also a deep generalist and hold many other interests. If you want a medical consultation, please book an appointment When I'm not seeing patients, I code software, advise health-tech startups, and write blogs. Follow me by subscribing to my writings