Biochem practical

The prospect of finishing first year was over compensating for the lack of breakfast today.
The awesome mnemonic I made for protein tests* had no use as I got my permanent question since second internal: pathological constituent of urine.
There was blood, bile salts in it.
The questions were as expected: which are the tests you do? what is the clinical condition in which bile salts appear in urine? Is it necessary that bile pigments are also present? Which are the bile salts? Pigments?
Quantitative, creatinine. The procedure had been submitted in 5 minutes following beginning.
Viva questions included creatinine clearance, normal values, condition in which it gets high, creatinine is synthesized from which amino acids?
The case history was given while we were doing the experiment, mine was about genetic disorders.
The spotters soon followed.
- urinometer, use
- benzidine, use
- Benedict's, constituents
- hay's test identification
- broom stick shaped crystals
The viva began at 2. Took longer than physio and anatomy per person per examiner. At least 5 minutes. All imaginable standard questions were asked.
Pantothenic acid deficiency, scurvy, xerophthalmia, niacin deficiency
Liver functions; test for synthetic function
van Gorke's disease. Why does it affect urea metabolism.

There were a lot more questions asked. (I heard someone being asked of RAS, cancer markers, Criggler Najjar, etc.) I answered HoD the question she had asked me in the morning, and out I came as a free man, like Andy in Shawshank Redemption, the awesome movie I saw right after reaching home the next morning.

 *The mnemonic was:
First you do heat coagulation and if it is albumin, then:
Xanthoproteic test makes people go round (for aromatic amino acids)
yet millions (Millon's) of people try a hand (tyrosine)
hoping for (Hopkins Cole) to be a krypton fan (tryptophan)
Yet, true success (sakaguchi) arguably (arginine)
comes (cystein&cystine) only to certain people
who are posch (Molisch)

If it was casein (protein in milk), first you'll have to do isoelectric pH test, because babies need the exact pH. And then the new man (Neumann) is killed with concentrate nitric acid and sulphuric acid.

No comments:

Don't Jump On Private Healthcare

Follow me

@asdofindia on Twitter
@learnlearnin on Telegram

About Me

My photo
I am a general practitioner rooted in the principles of primary healthcare. I am also a deep generalist and hold many other interests. If you want a medical consultation, please book an appointment When I'm not seeing patients, I code software, advise health-tech startups, and write blogs. Follow me by subscribing to my writings