Anatomy practical

8.15 reporting time
8.20 sticking register number on the name plate, records; sharpening pencils
8.30 time to start, but since first day, it went on to 9.30
GROSS
9.35 submitting gross record, taking lots, getting assigned the table
9.45 Spotters - hopefully the following
cauda equina, foramen ovale, oblique facial cleft, facial artery, fascia lata
9.55 surface anatomy
I get external carotid and appendix
10 the discussion
front of thigh
I get asked the nerve of the compartment, the quadriceps muscle, their function, femoral sheath contents, sartorius importance, rectus femoris origin.
right lung
borders, surfaces, bronchopulmonary segments of the upper lobe, and yeah the lobes the fissures, [extra question: can bronchopulmonary segment be called bronchovascular segment? The answer, as I found out later is that it can't be because the pulmonary vein is shared by adjacent bronchopulmonary segments (I had it in mind, but as it goes, it never matters if you don't say it)]
+the examiner asks me which book I read and when I say Gray's in my computer she asks me to refer that for the answer and also whether I like anatomy to which I replied "Not more than physiology"
Then blood supply, number of bronchial arteries on right lung, contents of hilum from superior to inferior, importance of pulmonary ligament, identifying impressions on mediastinal surface - venacavas, oesophagus (answered with a clue)
And the lymphatic drainage, its importance (turns out bronchial carcinoma spreads through lymphatics) and when I said yeah it must, because cancer is common because of smoking, she asks me whether I smoke. I don't.
Couple of signs, and we're off to histology lab - no breaks.
11.30 Inside histology lab picking a general slide and a systemic slide, after submitting record
11.35-55 Drawing the diagrams of
White Fibrous Cartilage
Where are they found? How do you differentiate from other cartilages?
Cerebellum
What is the shape of Purkinje cells, what is Rosette formation? Which cells take part in its formation? What are the input fibres? Climbing fibres is from?
And then gets called for spotters
10 of them with one chart of Patau's
And I remember seeing Gall bladder (interestingly placed vertical), trachea, tongue, optic nerve, Bone TS, cardiac muscle, Thymus, Thyroid, Kidney

At 12.30 we left the hall returning slides and taking back records for meeting at 1.45 for viva

1.45 everyone assembles in the demonstration room waiting.
4 tables, 4 examiners : above diaphragm soft tissues + osteology, below diaphragm soft tissues + osteology, radiography, embryology.
Radiography: contrast x-ray of oesophagus, lateral view. The implications, the clinical conditions.
Lower than diaphragm: Small intestine : Parts, gross differences between duodenum and ileum
Tibia, side, attachments to upper end
Above diaphragm:
Heart, the branches of aorta, right & left coronary artery, branches of right.
Fetal skull, which are the fontanelles
Thyroid, corresponding tracheal ring, blood supply
Embryology: Arterial arch, derivatives. Ectodermal clefts - derivatives. How is the external ear formed? Mr Spook? Star Trek? Yet to see in vacation. Ok, forget about it. Atrial septum formation.

Bye bye to dissection hall. And while taking back the gross record the attender was asking everyone for Rs 20/- ! Corruption!

No comments:

Don't Jump On Private Healthcare

Follow me

@asdofindia on Twitter
@learnlearnin on Telegram

About Me

My photo
I am a general practitioner rooted in the principles of primary healthcare. I am also a deep generalist and hold many other interests. If you want a medical consultation, please book an appointment When I'm not seeing patients, I code software, advise health-tech startups, and write blogs. Follow me by subscribing to my writings