Turns out there's a reason why people love Surgery

Reading someone else's blog is a great motivator to write one's own blog. I just went through some of the very first posts in Lamya's blog. And the idea of documenting one's day/week in excruciating details still fills me with enthusiasm.

The reader deserves to know. They can't be left hanging off the cliff. Every story needs to be completed, or continued. If you do not plan on finishing a story, do not begin writing one (at least, do not invite readers).

Surgery is what I wasn't sure of. And it is the only thing I am sure of, now. More than my love of learning, it is Balu sir's love for teaching that keeps me hooked. Nothing is complicated. Surgery is like plumbing. Conceptually very simple, but when you get down on your knees and reach out to the corner to fix a leak on the pipe, it is a tug-war between your perseverance and the graveness of the leak. If you become lazy and do a quick hack, you'll pay for it in terms of complications soon.

Sometimes in the operation theatre I come up with ideas of building robotic hands that can go inside the peritoneum and hold that structure just the way the surgeon wants. If you watch the struggle to get the gall bladder into a plastic bag in laproscopic cholecystectomy, you'll definitely come up with such ideas. It is all about reaching into that space, why should it be so difficult? If only you could put your hands inside the body like Neo does in Matrix 2.

Fact is, that is what surgeons do. When a giant cyst is trapped inside your body, pressing on your nerves and causing you unbearable pain, all you want is someone to reach inside and take it out - something that no amount of medicine can do. That desperation is the license for surgeons to be daring. It is what lets them cut tissue knowing for sure that it is irreplacable. Surgeons live the Nike slogan - they just do it.

The results are usually immediate and dramatic. Here is a patient who's crying and dying, and minutes later he's smiling and dreaming again.

I am that patient. Hopeless and desperate before going in, and within days of surgery posting I've regained my confidence in what I can do.

No comments:

Don't Jump On Private Healthcare

Follow me

@asdofindia on Twitter
@learnlearnin on Telegram

About Me

My photo
I am a general practitioner rooted in the principles of primary healthcare. I am also a deep generalist and hold many other interests. If you want a medical consultation, please book an appointment When I'm not seeing patients, I code software, advise health-tech startups, and write blogs. Follow me by subscribing to my writings